Saturday, October 25, 2008

Saturday

I SHOULD be running this morning. I should be breathing all this cold air into my lungs and beating the pavement with my feet. Instead, here I sit with my lame leg. I think I feel a bit better. (but it's also hard to tell since I'm taking all this Motrin!) It's one week as of...well, right about now! Earlier in the week I could not even do the elliptical. I am hoping to get back to the gym this week and at least hopefully handle some biking-if the leg can handle the pressure.

Husband says to take it easy. Husband is a lawyer. A lot of the cases he has requires him to go over medical records. Sometimes this makes him think he is a Doctor. He doesn't really think I should race anymore this year. His fear is that if I don't heal properly the issue could become chronic. His fear is also surgery as it is his opinion that ankle surgeries do not fare well.

He knows how important running has become and really wants to see me out again in the New Year. That way I could start training again and do the OKC Memorial Half in April. I listen to his advice. THis coupled with what the Dr. has said makes me think-As much as I hate to think that way, it's almost November. It will be a very busy month then I am teaching at the Museum every Sat in December...then it will be January. Fresh start for the New Year? Maybe so.

My boys are tired of my not keeping up with them. Oldest child says, "when will your leg get better?" Youngest child informed me the other day that "his legs were all broke" and that he needed to be carried. Geesh.

OH! I went to the Landrunner meeting this past Monday night. Speaker was ultramarathoner Chisholm Deupree. He is the 3rd Oklahoman to complete the Badwater 135 mile ultramarathon. All I can say is holy f'ing BADASS. What a story. What an inspiration. It really is amazing what the human body can do. It is a machine!

Well, I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. Pound the pavement for me!

Run on!

I am posting my previous race schedule here as I don't want to delete it, but want to get rid of it from my sidebar.

Susan G.Komen Race for the Cure 10/20/07
finished 35.45

OP Thanksgiving 5K November 07
finished 33.29

Redbud Classic 5K 4/6/08
finished 38.05

OKC Memorial 10k relay 4/27/08
finished 1:09:05

Sooner State Games 10K 5/17/08
finished1:10:51

Red Earth Run 5K 6/7/08
finished 33:56

Midnight Streak 7/26/08
Finished 31:18

Run with the Bulls 8/23/08
Finished 33:26

Geico Race for Freedom 10K
9/13/08 Finished 1:17:40 :(

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5K 10/4/08
Finished 31:52

Kelsey Briggs race against Child Abuse 5K 10/18/08-INJURED

3 comments:

Chris said...

I hate to say it and I am sure you hate to hear it, but your husbands advice might be dead on. Take the next couple of months off and be ready to start fresh in January. That will still give you 4 months to get ready for the OKC Memorial Half (which I am running too). Plenty of time. Oh, I expect to see you at Mitch Park in February for the Frigid 5 Miler!

How do you like the Landrunners? I have considered joining either them or the Edmond Running Club.

Anonymous said...

Hey Roni! I just want you to know you are awesome and I love you! After a ocuple months you will be all healed up and raring to go tiger! :)

Dude I like Pumpkin Ale too! teehee! :)

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel better, I pounded the pavement for you tonight, in the cold up here in MA - it was 38 degrees when I finished. Feel better?!

I agree with Chris, starting up in January again gives you plenty of time, plus if you do ride the bike or run in the water, you will save a lot of your fitness. you may not be as fast, but that will return, don't worry.