Sunday, October 5, 2008

RFTC '08

What a turn out!

It was a beautiful morning for the Komen Race for the Cure in downtown OKC. Woke up at 6 popped my Motrin and got showered up. I may have made a fatal mistake by changing up my race breakfast. I know it's against runners rules to try new things on a race day. Well some lessons are made through trial and error. I thought I'd try a Clif Bar. I got crunchy peanut butter and it was pretty tasty. A little dense, but good. About 30 minutes later I heard the rumble. I tried to dismiss it. ugh. My stomach did not take kindly to it and I had er...problems all morning. I almost popped an imodium, but I was worried about time so we left. Before we could head downtown though we had to make a stop at Dunkin Donuts. Munchkins and chocolate milk for the boys!

It was a bit of a trick finding parking. Husband and the boys ended up dropping me off so I would be able to meet my group in time while they headed off to park and find their spot at the finish line. I made my way to our group's rendezvous, but decided to go to the baseball stadium where we were supposed to have group pics. Saw fellow teammates and waited. Looked at my watch nervously. 8am. race starts at 8:15. From where I am, I think, it is going to take me a good 5-10 minutes to fight through this freaking crowd to line up. I decide to skip group photo. I make my way through the crowd and no one seems interested that the race is going to start in 10 minutes!

I figured I would line up at a faster pace mark because last year I really got stuck behind a ton of walkers. Well, lining up at the 8 minute mile didn't stop that! The sun was rising, they sang the national anthem and the gun went off. I was stuck. and not the kind of stuck where you can't run because no one can run-just stuck behind walkers that had no intention of running. I had a friend tell me, RFTC is not a runners race. It's a social event. He said it's really just too many people for a 5K to sucessfully give good running times. I was a little frustrated because I knew I had my personal goal in mind. I think I might have grumbled and growled a little, sorry.

Then I tried to relax, taking in the beautiful morning light and remember why I was really doing this race. For breast cancer prevention and to remember those who lost their battle and for those who are fighting it. The first mile was uphill. I am still fighting allergies and should have taken an Alavert. I had a hard time breathing due to mucus.

Hit the water stop and kept going. Music was good. Oh, my playlist?

Number 1 :Goldfrapp
One More Time :Daft Punk
Destroy Everything: Ladytron
Busy Child: Crystal Method
Thanks Fr Th Mmrs: Fall Out Boy
I Love my Sex: Benny Benassi
Satisfaction: Benny Benassi
Stronger: Kanye West

Wove my way through people. I felt good, considering I didn't run that much since being kinda sick in the past two weeks. I glanced at my watch and it said 25 minutes. I was over a km away. I was angry thinking, I'm not going to make it in time! (I didn't but that's okay) Then I got sidetracked. By a group of firemen in all of their gear marching together chanting something. Oh hotness. Focus, Erin! Then I rounded the corner and was literally stuck behind a stroller brigade. Ugh! Then I could see the finish line. I jumped around the strollers and I start looking for my boys. I look and look! There are thousands of freaking people! Then at the last second, there they are. They are yelling and cheering for me and seeing their faces made my morning. no clock at the finish. Look at my watch 31:12. Damn.

Results per DG racing:

31:52 /10:16 pace

510 out of 3491 women total

74 out of 454 for my age group (age 30-34)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations ronilicious for finishing your race! Darn those social event 5K's and the stroller brigades! LOL! You kick butt and I am proud of you! :)

Oh I bought Eclipse today! :D

Anonymous said...

Wow, you and i really do like the same kinds of music - Crystal Method - Get Busy Child - that song is awesome!!

And Benny Benassi - I've heard some of his stuff,but I don't think I've heard those songs before - I'll have to check them out on iTunes!

And oh, I do know the pain of being stuck behind charity walkers!! ugh!!