Sunday, March 1, 2009

Total Inspiration

2 words: Matt Long

All I can say is that I could not put down my lastest issue of Runner's World. Wow. At one point I actually hid from my munchkins in the laundry room (while I cried) so I could finish reading it in peace. I couldn't stop reading it, and it is a great story, and written very well.

Did I actually complain about my torn tendon? Sheesh. Nothing on what Matt Long went though-and countless others in their own various battles just to live. It is a reminder of how lucky most of us are to be healthy athletes.

So I am back. It has been a while and I have watched runners wistfully for over 4 months, waiting to rejoin the ranks. I am a beginner all over again, but that is fine by me. Just happy to be back.

Ankle God of OKC a.k.a. Dr. Kammerlocher told me to start back SLOW. Part of my injury occured not only because I have flat feet, but because my calves are very tight-this caused my tibalis posterior to work twice as hard-which caused the tear. I have been working on lots of stretching to help. I am not to do any calf strength training at this time. So, like a beginning runner, I am coming back at it slow. I have decided not to do a race until April. There aren't many in March that I think I can be ready for anyway. So, April 5 it is, and I think I'm going to do the 10K. Last year it was hot and there didn't seem to be enough water stops. I will remember that for this year!

We are all ready for my return. The boys keep asking me when I'll race next-I think they just want powdered donuts. They have all been really good in helping me recover and properly heal. If it wasn't for the Mr. telling me to take it easy, I would probably still be out!

In the meantime I am just going to run around our park, which is a good mile around and maybe head to Lake Hef trails...etc. Just in time for good weather, if it ever comes back!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAYYYYY - you really are back!! I think you are being very smart - take it slow and steady - this is still winter time, and you want to take it easy.

I look forward to all your blog posts to come!! Oh, and the blog looks really cool - nice header and colors!

Oh, and I'm still a middler....:-)