Monday, August 18, 2008

I am a landrunner

Tonight I joined the Oklahoma City Running Club, Landrunners. I was a bit nervous when I pulled into the parking lot and saw all of 26.2 stickers on the back of cars. Very intimidating to say the least. I thought about leaving! I thought-I'm no marathoner-not yet! Then I spoke to my husband-he told me to get in there! So I did. The people were all incredibly friendly and welcomed me warmly. The speaker was great. He spoke about runners being part of a fraternity and how crossing the finish line whether we're first or last makes us part of that special club. He spoke about how 3 years ago he found himself overweight and slowly, very slowly he started walking...just moving. It all starts with just moving. He spoke about his first marathon and how he wept when he reached the finish line. He did it. While he had help along the way with training he did the marathon for himself. No one can do it for you. You have to do it yourself. While runners sometimes carry people with them in their hearts or on their minds, they cross on their own from their own hard work, blood, sweat and tears. I can't wait to get there. I hope I can. Run with the Bulls coming up this weekend! I am READY!

No comments: