Saturday, November 22, 2008

Biking


Well, I am back at the Y. I got in a little time on the elliptical then my ankle started THROBBING. Little sharp pains...okay, it's been a month now! Then I ran into my Docs wife there-also a friend of mine. She looked at me and said, "get off there! You can cycle or be in the water!" I asked her if they were tired babysitting me yet. Her husband is an orthopedic surgeon and has lined up other dr. visits and everything for me. I haven't even had to make a phone call! I am getting an MRI scheduled. Will let ya'll know the date and results. I just gave them all my info insurance etc and will hopefully get in before Thanksgiving. Anyway, did the recumbent for about 30 minutes and it felt pretty good. No pain in my ankle area, but felt some burning in my butt! Yessssss! Burn baby burn! Then I did weights. I love their FITLINXX program. It keeps a record of all the work I do. I lifted a total of 11,300 lbs-that's between arms, legs and abs. Felt pretty good-just to be back to something!

Had Landrunners meeting this past Monday night. It was pretty good. Dr. Brian Coleman, Program Director of the Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship at the O.U. College of Medicine was the speaker. I think health and running was on a lot of Oklahoma runners minds as there was a young man that died at the Route 66 marathon in Tulsa last weekend. He was running the half. Also there was an article in the November Runners World-discussing the same sort of thing. I'm sure most of you read it, as I did. Dr. Coleman primarily discussed the cardiac benefits of running, heart health, etc. The benefits definitely outweigh the risks, but you should always consult with your own Doctor before starting an intense exercise regiment.

Many of the deaths in the yound athletes we see are usually preconditions. The running didn't necessarily cause heart attacks in these people, they typically had an unknown heart condition to begin with. We hear about it on the news, young healthy, teenage even, atheletes that collapse on a 5 yard run. So sad.

He had a great slideshow with a lot of information. Going to get regular checkups to start a baseline is important for any athlete. Have you had yours? I had mine this past spring and will be sure to go in every year. I guess it's especially important as soon as you hit the ripe age of 30-knowing your family history, etc is also important as it can put you at risk for heart disease, high cholesterol, I know you've heard it all.

At the meeting people also share their accomplishments. It's fun to see all the medals and hear the stories. It really makes me sort of sad. I just want to run too. All the more reason to get this MRI and see what the heck is going on so I can make my big return! Maybe I'll make a return schedule....hmmm.....

I hope everyone has a great weekend! Run on!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad someone caught you on the elliptical and yelled at you! (wink). I used to have to do that with my running partner this summer after she'd feel good for a day and then try to get out there and do stuff her body still didn't want her to do!

I like how your weight machines keep track of how much you lift. I think I have to get back to weight training once a week again. I definitely feel it now when I try to go back and do as much as I used to, the mind wants to but the body just can't.

Don't worry, you'll be able to run again, it will just take time. And right now it's almost winter, so don't feel bad about not being out there. You saw how cold it was with me, I refuse to feel guilty for not running outside earlier today!

And you know what,I've never had a baseline done, although I do know that high cholesterol runs in my family so I do get up and run because of that. And yep, I did see that RW article too.