Sunday, May 4, 2008

What a day it was!

I think I have a few minutes to recapture my first 10k race as a relay member for the OKC Memorial Marathon. I ran the race route the week before and did pretty well. I started watching the forecast the week before and was nervous at the cool weather that was creeping in, along with rain and wind.

I was also nervous being part of a relay team...what if I wasn't fast enough? Even if it is just for fun? Well, those were some of my last thoughts when I went to bed the night before the race. Too bad I woke up around 3am...coughing. And coughing. And coughing. My 2 year old woke up. I looked at the clock bleary eyed. Man oh man. After that I was keyed up. I was ready to run right then. Alarm went off at 5am. I hopped in the shower, got dressed and made my piece of wheat toast. I put some peanut butter on it, ate half a banana and washed it down with half a sugar free redbull. Ready to rumble!

Looked outside. Rain. Temp about 40.Wind made it a bit cooler. Husband woke up and loaded the kids in the car at 6am. He made me a last minute poncho out of a garbage bag. So glad he did. The anticipation began to build as we headed downtown, which isn't too far from where we live, only about a 7 minute drive. The boys dropped me off and I joined a large procession of others, marching in the rain to line up.

I decided to use the bathroom one last time and put myself in the corral. I could barely see the start line. I jog in place...get my iPod ready and make small talk with the others around me. We are so ready. The National Anthem begins and I put my hand over my heart. It's not just a run....I think of the lives lost right there. I begin to tear up. Finally the horn sounds. We don't move and inch.

marathon start

About 5 minutes later we move a step. One step. We all look at each other and laugh, smile. 2 more minutes and we are off to a walk. Turn my iPod up...Goldfrapp starts in with Number One.... oh yeah. I am ready. 4 more minutes and I hit the start banner. I tear my poncho off along with the thousands of others. I hop, skip, and jump over all the trash! I hit start on my watch and I am off to a slow trot.

Photobucket

Things finally start to weed out. I have a bit off room to maneuver. I tell myself, pace yourself! Don't go out too fast. At mile 1, I look at my watch-9:48-going good.

I keep it up and hit my first walking spot at the Walnut Street Bridge. The incline is pretty steep. I ran up halfway, and decided not to spend that much energy on that. Leveled out right at the top and was off again. Still cold. Glad I had those gloves. When I turned North on Lincoln, the wind really hit, but I didn't feel cold. I actually shed my long sleeve t around the capital. So many people cheering....really keeps you going.

I hardly notice what is going on around me. I am focused on the road. I hit the half mark-glance at my watch. 30:42. Really good for me. Hit Oklahoma and turned west on 23rd. Things got tight here, as they could not shut it all down. I start to get close to my neighborhood. Run north on Robinson. Medics are treating a girl...I try not to let this slow me down, but I say a quick prayer that she is alright. Past Goodholm park a cop car is on Robinson. The policewoman is yelling for relayers to go straight-and marathoners to the left. There is suddenly confusion. Some people go straight...I know straight is not the course, but she said relayers...I go straight...for a few steps. I shout at her and turn back. I knew it wasn't right. It kinda pisses me off. I need every second I can get!!!!!! GRRRRR!!!

Head down Harvey and get to my territory. Little american flags lined the street. I think I am doing pretty well, My family is supposed to be on the left here, so I move to the left. They could not cross to that side, I noticed them on a corner with other neighbors on the right side. I cannot cross over. I shout my husbands name! They see me and wave. This part is pretty hilly. I turn through the park towards Walker. I walk again...just to the top of the hill. I am so close to the finish line where I hand off. Once I am on Walker, I pick it up. Cross 36th, see the crowd. I am looking for Chandra like mad. Hit stop on my watch. 1:07. Triumphant. Still looking for my relay mate. Find her. She is ready to go. I pass off the ankle band and belt. I wish her luck. I am totally high on adrenaline. I did it. I got a medal, grab some powerade and make my way home. I walk back towards runners. I see an old high school friend. I cheer her on. Walk through the park and see my family and neighbors waiting. I was so happy. They all congratulated me. My husband was so proud. He said my run time was great, he actually expected me later-and missed taking a pic!

Final results in. I finish at 1:09:05

Relay team
time: 4:32:05
guntime: 4:40:55
pace: 10:24

10k 1:09:05
15k 1:43:25
half 2:17:10
27k 2:46:47
32k 3:19:43

1 comment:

Chandra said...

Way to go, woman!! (I am totally pissed that Steve beat my time! ;) Just kidding - I think it's AWESOME that he wants to run with us, and I can't wait until the next event.) I am SOOOO proud of you, Erin!!