Saturday, May 24, 2008

Sooner State Games

Last weekend,I participated in the Sooner State Games 10k at Lake Overholser. I had never been out to Lake Overholser, and it was beautiful. I got out there with the boys about 40 minutes before the race. I didn't get a chip in my race packet, and knew it was chip timed, so I wandered towards the pavilion to see if I could get one. Turns out no one gets them in the packet, they are borrowed, and returned. So, I got my number 78, affixed it to my shoe and wandered around. They had a nice spread of snacks and drinks set out, so I grabbed a bottle of water and went back to the car to meet the boys.

The boys were excited to watch me run. I made my way to the start line with about 140 or so other runners. It was cool, sunny and very relaxed. It's a go and we are off. Number One by Goldfrapp gets me going. What a great day. Mile one I felt I had a good pace.The 5k turnaround was there quickly and I watched most people turn around. I kept going. Mile two and three were great also. We made our way across the Old Route 66 bridge and I kept looking out for the 10k turnaround. I walked a bit here, felt a little tired. I only ran about twice in the past two weeks. Not so good. Back to it though, so next one should be better, anyway, my split time was 34:35 according to my watch. I started running again and then I walked some more. Ran than walked. Still knew I was doing ok. My goal was 1:15. It was really such a beautiful morning. The runners were relaxed and nice. Everyone smiled and waved to each other. Although there were not people cheering on the sidelines, the runners were good about keeping spirits up. This was not a group that needed cheerleaders. We were out to have fun doing what we like, running. I look at my watch, I know I am getting closer to finishing. I do not walk again. Just outside the finish line, my boys were waiting. I heard Alex first, "Go Mom, GO! YEA MOM!" I got close enough to see their smiling faces and it made me very happy. It's great to have a support system like I do. By my watch I was thrilled. I was at 1:09. I beat what I thought I'd do it in. Not a record breaking time, but super for me. I'm just happy to be out there. My final chip time was 1:10:51. Whats next?

1 comment:

Chandra said...

Another success in your cap, girl! I think I need a little motivation to make it to the next run...